HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

WinXP activation problem

Discuss operating systems in this section. Including Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.

WinXP activation problem

Postby LongRunner » July 17th, 2013, 2:33 am

I set up a second system a while ago. But I left it for over a month without activating, the option to auto-configure an internet connection failed, and there's no way to manually configure networking from within the activation prompt.

I don't know what to do. As far as I can tell, the only in-place solution is to use telephone activation (cumbersome). I already tried turning back the clock (but too late apparently). The only potential alternative I can think of is to edit the registry, and that has the problem that regedit won't operate on an alternate installation. Yes, it's possible to hex-edit the contents of a drive, but how would you know where to start???

I don't have an image of the drive either. In case you're curious, the system in question has two drives - WD400JB-00JJA0 (system) and ST3120026A (user data).

(I don't think a giant like Microsoft would ever need brutal measures like this - if piracy really bothers them that much, why don't they try lowering their prices???)
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Re: WinXP activation problem

Postby c_hegge » July 17th, 2013, 4:07 am

I've had this before. I just ring up for activation. It's not that hard.

I do agree on the pricing, though. It's the one thing I think MS did right with windows 8 (made it much cheaper than 7), although 8 is probably bad enough that MS should really pay people to use it.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Return to Operating Systems