HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Electrician&stuff in AU

Everything goes... within reason!

Electrician&stuff in AU

Postby Behemot » March 29th, 2015, 10:01 am

Would like to ask Australian guys if they know how it works in AU? To begin with the basics: Say I wanted to run business incl. repairing power supplies. In here, it is device working on low voltage and you need to be electrician to do that legally (and getting those papers is pain in the ass, stupid fascistic regime). I can work on extra-low voltage devices here (<60 V).

How's the situation in AU? Do I need to have electrician papers?
Last edited by LongRunner on March 21st, 2017, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typos
Behemot
Administrator

Re: Electrician&stuff in AU

Postby c_hegge » March 29th, 2015, 9:28 pm

AFAIK, you need to be an electrician to legally work on 230V components. You can, however, legally repair low voltage stuff (including a PSU's secondary side) without being an electrician.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Re: Electrician&stuff in AU

Postby Behemot » March 30th, 2015, 1:19 am

OK so it's the same, incl. the secondary side hack :D Which I think also depends on benevolence of the control organ…

Anyway, next question then is, how one becomes an electrician in AU? Here it is stupid, you have to have certain education from given list AND do qualification tests and also have practise, otherwise no luck. Without the right education, no matter if you do the qualification test 100 times, you are still screwed. Just great as the list is fixed for like 50 years. Guild system in 21st century? :frustrated:

Are there more reasonable conditions, like having some qualification course for half a year or a year, then some test and voila, you got it? Because ATM, I have applied for electrician class in high school (man don't even ask) and should start from September this year. So the question is whether it is ± the same there, so it would be better for me to get papers here and then do some differential tests, or to skip everything here and go study directly to Sydney.
Last edited by LongRunner on March 21st, 2017, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typos
Behemot
Administrator

Return to Off-Topic