HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

"Future former laptop user" checking in

Post an Introduction thread here. Share a little about yourself and your computer knowledge, (if you want to)...

"Future former laptop user" checking in

Postby McP_82 » June 28th, 2021, 6:34 am

Hello everyone!

Until recently, I've only used off-the-shelf laptops for working and playing alike, and never really bothered to change whatever was in them.
But now that I'm going to have 1) a place of my own, a place I'm not going to move away from in a couple months or years and 2) S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 with ridiculously high performances on the horizon, I've decided to try my hand at building a desktop PC that would be easier to update regularly than a laptop.
And of course, there's a problem... I don't know what to get. I know that bigger numbers = better, but apart from that... :rofl: and that's why I joined this forum.

Thanks for keeping that forum alive and for the knowledge I can find on it!
McP_82

Re: "Future former laptop user" checking in

Postby LongRunner » July 1st, 2021, 7:50 am

To tell the truth, we haven't really stayed on top of things lately (our last game review was in 2018 and last HW reviews in 2017). Especially not me, I don't even like working on computers :shy:. (It's mainly the software side that bugs me; hardware I can tolerate somewhat more, especially PSUs which were the actual attraction to this site, but not enough to compensate for the software shambles.)

As for something I've actually done, you can view my mini-review thread which includes a range of items (some of which are Australia-specific models, but you can usually find similar elsewhere). Of particular note are the portable heaters, which I took on as a challenge after seeing how poorly certain "mainstream" publications (namely Choice magazine in Australia) understand them; it wasn't hard to do better. (I may or may not step up to "fully" reviewing them in the near future; at the moment, I don't have the space to keep more models myself, and my intended workaround of examining friends' units isn't off to a fast start. Anyhow they'll remain a side-project, not a career for me.)

I think the problem with "reviews" of such simple devices is that the people who would know enough to understand them properly are largely involved in the more sophisticated (and "glamorous") high-tech fields, leaving the low-tech ("boring") review sector to run on Dunning—Kruger.
If you want to dabble in that stuff yourself, I'm willing to assist in my spare time (of which I have plenty)…
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Re: "Future former laptop user" checking in

Postby Behemot » July 22nd, 2021, 1:15 pm

It's that long already? Oh my :runaway:

Well anyways, now is not really the best time for building a gaming rig if you don't actually need it soon (which I presume not, cause not that I watch it that much, but think the new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is not coming for months at least, possibly longer?) anyways. HW prices, graphics especially, are ridiculous.

But welcome nonetheless, don't be afraid to start a thread if you feel for the discussion. Can't promise I'll get to it right away though, server's barely holding it together so notifications may be unreliable :facepalm:
Behemot
Administrator

Return to Introductions